Friday, August 23, 2013

Snapshots of the Zimmerman House

I had the pleasure this summer of spending time at the Zimmerman House in Manchester, New Hampshire, as a part of my internship at the Currier Museum of Art. Working with the incredibly dedicated house docents, we worked on improving improvisational methods during tours. I went on several tours of the house with different docents. Each visit was an entirely different experience. I am finally beginning to understand why Frank Lloyd Wright has such a cult following!   Over the past few months, I watched as the summer blooms came to life in the garden, and the greens became exotic and lush. It is a magical and mysterious place.
I am constantly amazed at the fine detail work that went into the design of the house. Even to an untrained eye, elements of the house that appear effortless prove ruthlessly intricate upon closer inspection. From every angle, the house provides a kaleidoscope of shapes and lines. This is my favorite view of the house, seen from the top stair of the far left end of the carport.
Like my intern supervisor pointed out on my first visit to the house, the open view onto the lawn in the backyard from the carport is like a painting that is constantly in transition. The windows, too, with Wright's signature geometric glass panels, provides frames from which to view the yard and garden. To think that Wright designed this house without ever setting foot on the plot!
Reserve your ticket for a tour of the Zimmerman House here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment